HIST 3200, History of Mexico
Instructions: For this exam, you will write two essays based on the questions
below. You make use of any source that you like. However, any quotes should be
footnoted (or other appropriate citation), and you should also use footnotes if
you make use of any source other than the two assigned books, other assigned
readings, or lecture notes. These essays should be about 2 pages long, or
450-650 words. They will be due by March 5, and may be emailed if you
- Compare the mindset, the cultural world view, of the Spaniards and the
Amerindian people they encountered in Mexico. How did the differences between
them impact the outcome of that encounter?
- How did the Spanish establish their authority in Mexico and
control the people of Mexico?
(This is not just about the initial conquest but also about establishing a
- The Spanish government sought to Catholicize the Amerindians of Mexico.
Why? How effective were these efforts?
- Discuss the broad outlines of the colonial Mexican economy. What were the
main sources of wealth and production? What was Mexico's economic relationship
to the outside world? What role did different racial/ethnic groups play in the
- Discuss the principle differences between rural and urban society in
colonial Mexico. Think about such things as who lives where, what kind of
jobs they do, and the role of church and government.
- [This question covers the Feb 26 material] Discuss the impact of race on individuals in colonial Mexico.
Take at least two racial categories from colonial society and discuss how
people's lives were shaped by being a member of that racial group (such as
Amerindian, mestizo, mulatto, white, black, etc.). You will want to consider
such things as employment, political power, and labor issues, among other