I. Description - As a key assignment in this class, you will be expected to produce a country profile. For this assignment you may choose any of the countries included in the country map quiz, as well as any of the Caribbean island nations. This assignment has three parts: 1) Basic Statistics and Form of Government; 2) Historical Chronology; 3) Topical Focus.
II. Basic Statistics and Form of Government - You need to collect basic demographic and statistical data on the country, including
1. Population statistics, including racial and ethnic breakdown
2. Economic statistics and information, including gross national product, major industries and their relative importance, as well as further details, such as inflation and poverty levels.
3. Basic description of the present for of government (parliamentary, military dictatorship, etc.)
Please note that detail is good, but I do not expect a book length manuscript. Collect enough relevant facts to give an overall picture of the country's people, government, and economy.
III. Historical Chronology - Beginning with European colonization, working to the present, highlight the most important moments in a country's history, such as colonization, independence, coups and revolutions, abolishment of slavery, wars, etc. You should have a minimum of twenty (20) items in your chronology.
IV. Topical Focus - Pick any topic from the country's history or from its current events. Write a 600-800 word synopsis of that topic.
1. This project may be presented as a paper or a web site. Please turn in a typed paper if choose that form. If you create a website, please e-mail me the link.
2. You must have bibliography indicating all sources.
3. You must use citations (footnotes or endnotes). No cutting and pasting or other forms of plagiarism will be tolerated. Check here for a discussion of citation. Two rules worth remembering: 1) It is always better to overcite than undercite; 2) When in doubt, ask.
VI. Grading - I will consider the following factors in assigning you grade.
VII. Due Dates and Rewrites - This assignment is due Nov 10. Those who turn it in late will not have an opportunity to do a rewrite.